Teacher, English as a Second Language
Job no: 492978
Center for Teaching & Learning
Basic Skills Education
Supervisor, English as a Second Language
Part-Time, Non Benefited
Posted Pay Range:
$15.52 - $19.40 per hour
The College of Western Idaho (CWI) expands learning and life opportunities, encourages individual advancement, contributes to Idaho’s economic growth, strengthens community prosperity, and develops leaders.
We are a comprehensive community college providing higher education programs. We offer a full range of academic and career-technical courses leading to an Associate of Arts or Science degree, Associate of Applied Science degrees, continuing education, and certifications. CWI also offers Basic Skills Education to help prepare for a GED, Dual Credit for high school students, and fast-track career training for working professionals.
At CWI we are proud of our talented and dedicated faculty and staff. Our employees have an opportunity to make a difference in students’ lives every day. We are excited for you to join us and share our passion for higher education.
Responsible for providing instruction to English as a Second Language Students. Class days, times and meeting frequency vary according to specific assignment. Generally, an hour of prep is paid for each 2-hour class.
• Provides instruction for students in a classroom setting in speaking, listening, reading and writing English as a Second Language.
• Implements Life and Work Skills curriculum or other curriculum as assigned.
• Works with supervisor to meet educational outcomes, including instruction, assessment, and other metrics, as established by state and federal funding sources.
• Collaborates with supervisor and other instructors to deliver instruction that meets language acquisition needs of students in class.
• Creates and employs a lesson plan for each class.
• Takes primary responsibility for retaining students assigned to her/his class, following established guidelines for contacting students.
• Records student attendance and tracks student outcomes.
• Assists with orientation, intake, registration and testing, if requested.
• Attends staff meetings and trainings as assigned.
• Conveys by words and actions the values expected by CWI.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• 4-year degree
• Classroom teaching and online instructional experience preferred
• Basic computer skills and experience with educational technology required
• Experience teaching adults in a Life and Work Skills ESL program strongly preferred
• TESOL Certification strongly preferred
• Master's Degree in ESL or closely-related field preferred
• Experience teaching adult English language learners with emerging literacy preferred for some positions
• Experience learning and using a foreign language preferred
If so, please submit your resumé and cover letter. We look forward to receiving your application.